[Sca-cooks] Grains

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com Stanza693 at wmconnect.com
Fri Mar 30 09:27:48 PDT 2007

************
Quoting from SCA-Cooks digest v.11 #84.  Message from Aldyth at aol.com....

I am looking for good documentation for various grains during our  period.
My A&S paper is  going to be about bread, the  fermentation process and the
grains used. What I am really hoping to find  is something along the lines of
bread from x was made with x flour.   Because x grain grew there.

***************

Some of the info that I used in a curent A&S Redaction project (Bunuelos from
the Manual de Mugeres, so this is more Spanish oriented)...

"Spanish Society: 1400 - 1600" by Teofilo F. Ruiz has a section on foods that
quotes a woman's will where she leaves funds to serve white (wheat) bread to
the poor each year.  He states this is a luxury since the poor generally ate
coarser, less refined breads.  Wheat being eaten by the upper classes.

"Ancient Agriculture:  Roots and Applications of Sustainable Farming" by
Gabriel Alonso de Herrera is the first English translation (2006) of his
1539edition of Obra de Agricultura.  It is mainly a treatise on farming, but it has
loads of good info that can be extracted.  It even has a whole chapter on
vineyards and vintning.  Translator was Rosa Lopez-Gaston.  Compiler was Juan Estevan
Arellano.  (He's on the Medieval Gardening list, btw.)

Not a primary source, but Barbara Santich's "The Original Mediterranean
Cuisine" discusses how wheat bread is a staple in the Mediterranean kitchen.

There was also a webbed book (that I don't have on hand right now, but I
think it was on LIBRO) that talks about the women of the Castillian towns going
daily to have the wheat ground at the mill.

If you come down (up?) in June for Dragonsspine Champions, I would welcome
your comments on my project.  I'm pretty much a rank beginner so I'll take all
the constructive criticism I can get!!

A sus ordenes,
Constanza Marina de Huelva
   </HTML>