[Sca-cooks] period crochet

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 30 10:27:46 PDT 2007

Stefan wrote:
>Urtatim replied to me with:
>=====
>Stefan li Rous wrote:
>  >> On the other hand, i happened upon a pattern to make crocheted peeps
>  >> out of fluffy novelty yarns. About the only kind i can stand. But
>  >> remember, neither crochet nor novelty yarn is period.
>  >> --
>  >> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
>  >
>  > Perhaps it depends upon your definition of "crochet", but crochet may
>  > be period.
>  >
>  > crochet-FAQ        (7K)  9/23/01    "Crochet & It's Origins - FAQ" by
>  >                                        Lady Christian de Holacombe.
>  > http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/crochet-FAQ.html
>
>Actually, now *Mistress* (hmmm, actually i think she is going by
>"Dame") Christian and i agree about crochet.
>
>This FAQ is also hosted in my e-mail list, HistoricKnit, on Yahoogroups.
>======
>
>Oh! Then I'm confused by your original statement. Or was this meant
>as satire and I missed that?

Crochet is not SCA-period. Dame Christian does not support crochet as
SCA-period in her FAQ. Crochet can be supported with actual crocheted
evidence in the early 19th C., and possibly the late 18th C.

I like to crochet. I do not crochet in the SCA. I do SCA-period
knitting. I also attempt a number of other SCA-period textile
techniques (tablet weaving, sprang, nalbinding, etc.), none of which
i do well enough or enough of to show anyone.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita