[Sca-cooks] Bread and butter issues

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Mar 31 09:32:12 PDT 2007

I came across some mentions of butter eating among continental Europeans
when I was searching for mentions of butter and bread in the fall.

 From An itinerary vvritten by Fynes Moryson Gent. 1617

CHAP. IIII. Of the vnited Prouinces in Netherland, and of Denmarke and
Poland, touching the said subiects of the precedent third Chapter.

Page 97

Touching this peoples diet, Butter is the first and last dish at the
Table, whereof they make all sawces, especially for fish, and thereupon
by strangers they are merrily   called Butter-mouths. They are much
delighted with white meats, and the Bawers drinke milke in stead of
beere, and as well Men as Weomen, passing in boates from City to City
for trade, carry with them cheese, and boxes of Butter for their foode,
whereupon in like sort strangers call them Butter boxes, and nothing is
more ordinary then for Citizens of good accompt and wealth to sit at
their dores, (euen dwelling in the market place) holding in their hands,
and eating a great lumpe of bread and Butter with a lunchen of cheese.
They vse to seeth little peeces of flesh in Pipkins, with rootes and
gobbets of fat mingled therewith, without any cutiosity; and this they
often seeth againe, setting it each meale of the weeke on the Table,
newly heated, and with some addition of flesh rootes or fat morsels, as
they thinke needfull, and this dish is vulgar|ly called Hutspot. They
feed much vpon rootes, which the boyes of rich men deuoure raw with a
morsell of bread, as they runne playing in the streetes. They vse most
commonly fresh meates, and seldome set any salt meates on the board,
except it beat Feasts to prouoke drinking. They vse no spits to roast
meat, but bake them in an earthen pipkin as in an ouen, and so likewise
seeth them: And these meates being cold, they often heat and serue to
the Table, so as I haue come into an Inne, and being in the Kitchen,
could see nothing ready for supper, yet presently called to supper, haue
seene a long Table furnished with these often heated meats, which
smoaked on the outside, yet were cold on the inside. This people is
prouerbially said to excell in baked meates, especially in baking of
Venison; yet to my knowledge they haue no red Deare in these Prouinces,

So some two centuries after your mention they are still known for butter
eating.

Johnnae