[Sca-cooks] Cofyns

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Mar 5 16:36:16 PST 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 7:17 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2007, at 11:08 PM, Terry Decker wrote:
>
>> Sorry.  That was supposed to be mid-16th Century.
>>
>> Bear
>>
>>> IIRC, the earliest addition of fat to a pie shell recipe, which
>>> would
>>> improve the edibility, is mid-15th Century.
>
> Isn't there a relatively early French piecrust recipe in verse that
> is more or less contemporary with Le Menagier and Taillevent? As I
> recall (which I don't, not very well) it called for little bits of
> fat. Maybe it appears in a footnote in the Pichon edition of Le
> Menagier?

The recipe below from Viandier (1485) seems to suggest a crust made
with eggs and butter.

TARTRES COUVERTES. Tartres couvertes, soit destrampé
la crouste d'oeufz et de beurre, la farce destrampée de deux
oeufz et d'eaue en chescune tartre et non plus, et beurre
destrampé avec le fromage broyé en ung mortier.

[rough translation]
COVERED TARTS.  Covered tarts, that is tempered
the crust of eggs and butter, the filling tempered with two
eggs and water for each tart and no more, and butter
tempered with cheese ground in a mortar.

- Doc

--
  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)