[Sca-cooks] Lactose intolerant Pizza -was- Re: capsicums

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 6 06:31:08 PST 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Saint Phlip wrote:

> Lactose intolerance refers to those people who
> don't produce the enzyme "lactase" which is required for metabolizing
> lactose. Lactase is produced by almost all children, in order to
> digest their mother's milk, however, many cultures don't use milk as a
> food after weaning, so the production of the enzyme ceases or reduces
> extremely. Consequently, among those populations, there is a very high
> incidence of lactose intolerance as adults- notably Asian and Native
> American cultures suffer this. It is, however, very rare amongst
> Northern European, and other cultures which eat milk products
> throughout their lives.

It's my understanding that what goat's and sheep's milk contain only
in very small amounts   compared to cow's milk is the protein casein,
which is apparently what most people who are genuinely allergic to
milk products, and not simply unable to digest lactose, are reacting
to. This is perhaps the source of confusion between intolerance and
allergy, and the idea that goat's milk may be more acceptable to the
lactose intolerant. It's actually got plenty of lactose, but it can
be a better alternative to those allergic to casein.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04