[Sca-cooks] Onion Juice - and Saffron measurements

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Mar 6 07:12:40 PST 2007

>I have a question about saffron measurements. Someone gave me a recipe that
>was redacted and I'm trying quintuple it. She said 1/2 tsp of Saffron for
>2.5 cups of cooked rice. Now, if I'm quintupling that recipe, would I need
>to quintuple the saffron? A) It is hideously expensive and B) It doesn't
>necessarily function the same way as other spices. Any ideas?

A quick google for saffron rice, found recipes for 1 c uncooked rice
using 1/2 tsp saffron. 1 1/2 c rice to 2/3 tsp saffron, 1 c rice to
1/8 tsp saffron, 2/5 c rice to 1/2 tsp saffron, 1 c rice to a pinch
of saffron,  1 1/2 c rice to "enough saffron to color", or 500 kg
rice to "large pinch" of saffron

Its going to depend on the quality of the saffron, you probably need
to test with the same brand you will actually use.  The expensive
saffron might need less... or it might not.

I'd start with 2 c of rice to 1/8 tsp saffron and see how much color
you get, but 1 c rice to 1/8 tsp sounds about right to me.

Ranvaig
( I sent some email to my job's HR department, and had to double
check that "sharon" sent it not "ranvaig"...lol)