[Sca-cooks] capsicums

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 6 18:13:00 PST 2007

Well, i'm no fan at all of "American" food and large chain
restaurants. I only eat in them when i'm on road trips.

I am, however, a fan of capsicums. I grew up eating bland Midwestern
food. I'm originally from Chicago where garlic is, or at least was in
the 1950s, considered outright subversive.

I know i've regaled the list with my first experience of Indian food
in NYC when i was barely 18: when asked if i wanted mild, medium, or
hot, i said "hot". With my first bite, my head exploded inside and
everything went white. With the following bites the flavor of every
other spice and seasoning was heightened. This was in 1967, and i was
hooked.

Not long after i bought cookbooks for Indian, Mexican, Persian, and
Turkish food. A few years later i was expanding into Szechwan, Thai,
Vietnamese, and Indonesian food. When i was living in France i cooked
Mexican food, when i moved to Indonesia i took my Thai and Szechwan
cookbooks with me.

I will note, however, that an excess of capsicum will not improve
corporate food. It is a fad, although, since salsa long ago began
outselling catsup in the US, it is one that may go on for a few
years, before the next culinary fad takes over, and the capsicums
fade away.

Capsicums? I'm going to a Malay restaurant tonight and i'm looking
forward to the sambal ("relish" made of ground up chiles and often
not much else, or maybe some shallots or garlic).

Mundanely my most immediate ancestors are from the Ukraine, Latvia,
and Lithuania, and Austro-Hungary. They came to the US in the 19th
century, the first batch arriving around 1863. Why do i like spicy
food SOOOO much?!?!?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita