[Sca-cooks] Redactions...credit where credit is due or not due?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Mar 8 11:23:50 PST 2007

> I don't have access to a lot of direct sources for period recipes, mostly
> because I'm lazy. I like to cook and I'll go surf the net and find period
> recipes with redactions out there or get them friends...or from this list.
> I'll take the recipe and the redaction and use it as a starting point.
> Usually the first time through I'll stay as close to the actual redaction as
> possible. Then I'll start fiddling with it based on my own interpretations
> and tastes. I have always been very careful to give credit where credit is
> due when I use someone's redaction. At what point should I not say "this
> period recipe was originally based on a redaction by Lady P  but I've
> modified it based on my interpretation and tastes"?

I would say that if you've looked at the original recipe and cooked from
/ made up your own redaction primarily based on the original, you should
say "this is a redaction of a recipe from primary source x, using
information from the redaction [by person x] or [from source x]."

If you only adapted the other person's redaction, then you should say it
is your adaptation of that person's redaction.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net