[Sca-cooks] herb seasoning question

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 8 11:43:53 PST 2007

"Ian Kusz" <sprucebranch at gmail.com> wrote:
>the warnings I heard were to keep it in an airtight container, because it's
>smelly.

'Tis true it is odoriferous, but not more so than some other things.
It has a slightly garlicy smell. You wouldn't want it as the primary
smell in your spice cabinet, but like every spice, if kept in a well
closed container, it's no problem.

>What kind of dishes is it used in?  Mostly soups? And what kind; curried,
>spicy/chili peppered, spicy/black peppered, stews, noodly food,
>mostly-meat-food, gravies, or what?

It is used in savory dishes, just about any of the above is possible.

>wikipedia mentions lentils, fish and eggplant..would the dishes in question
>be more Indian?  Italian?  Greek?

As far as i know, beyond SCA period, it is chiefly used in the South
Asian subcontinent. India and Pakistan - i'll check my Afghan
cookbook to see if it's called for there.

While it could be overpowering and unpleasant if used in large
quantities, it is generally used only in pinches. Used this way the
flavor is subtle, but can make a big difference in the overall taste
of a dish, melding other spices together and adding a depth and
richness to the flavor.

I've only used the powder, although i think i've seen it in resin grains.

>Are there any health conditions that should avoid it?  I hear it's used as a
>digestive and to reduce asthma...so if I have, say, acid reflux, will it be
>okay?

I'm afraid i can't help on the health issues. Sorry.

If you're looking for modern recipes, i've got a number of Indian
cookbooks actually published in India, and i can look up some recipes
for you.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita