[Sca-cooks] waffles/holhippen

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 11 08:31:57 PDT 2007

> http://www.waffelbar.de/Waffelgeschichte.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/36gnv9 (Google translation)
>
> This is a German language site that lists names for waffles in
> various locations.  Apparently holhippen is a type of waffle or
> wafer.  In Rumpolt it is wrapped around a roller.
>
> Ranvaig

Think about the pronunciation, "hohl" means hollow or concave.  "Hippe" is a
scythe or sickle (crescent shape) and is a colloquial name for croissant.
Applied to a wafer, I would expect it to be a cresent-shaped, empty shell,
probably for filling.

Bear (who only took a couple years of seeing the word to think of that)