[Sca-cooks] waffles/holhippen

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 11 18:29:54 PDT 2007

>Think about the pronunciation, "hohl" means hollow or concave.  "Hippe" is
>scythe or sickle (crescent shape) and is a colloquial name for croissant.
>Applied to a wafer, I would expect it to be a cresent-shaped, empty shell,
>probably for filling.
>
>Bear (who only took a couple years of seeing the word to think of that)

The unabridged dictionary says "hippe" is a
pruning knife (not sickle) and I didn't see the
connection. And I missed, the probably obvious,
change from "hol" to "hohl".

The spelling in Rumpolt sometimes boggles my long
unused German.  I had a big "aha!" moment, when I
realized that "zeuch," which is how you put
things in a pan, or remove skin, was zöge
(ziehen) which means to pull off, put on, pull
out, raise.  The pronunciation is right, but you
cant find "zeuch" in the dictionary.

Even if I'm not an expert, its been good for me
to attempt the translation. My German has
improved a lot and I'm learning the cuisine much
better than if I just read an English translation.

Ranvaig

I tend to pay more attention to the pronunciation than the spelling.
Standardized spelling is a modern artifact of language standardization that
accompanies the concept of standing armies.  I also use a fairly expensive
Cassell's dictionary that gives a lot of usage information.  I'm still
looking for some Middle German dictionaries so I can be a little more
accurate.

At the moment, I'm playing with some of the fish recipes from Wecker, so I'm
a little more sensitive to the language than I am usually.

Bear