[Sca-cooks] Recipe Books

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 18:15:11 PDT 2007

I'm not sure about African...probably nothing until quite late, definitely
not in period.  However, so far as Asian cookery is concerned, there are
several possibilities, including *Yin-shan Cheng-yao *(Proper and Essential
Things for the emperor's Food and Drink) written in the 14th century and
covered in "Soup for the Qan" by Buell and Anderson, 'Cloud Forest Hall
Collection of Rules for Drinking and Eating' by Ni Tsan (14th century) and
the Ryori Monogotari, a 17th c. Japanese cookbook, thought it's slightly out
of period.  So the Mongol and Chinese texts are slightly earlier than your
period, and the Japanese one is about 40 years beyond your end date.
However, it is reasonable to assume that, in both cases, the recipes were
actually used within the dates you specify.  The first two are available in
translation, one is, as I said, part of "Soup for the Qan", the second was
translated by Dr. Eugene Anderson and published in "Petits Propos au
Culinaire".  The third has been translated by a friend of mine and we are
still working on polishing the translation and redacting some of the
recipes...real life has had a bad habit of intervening in our work.

I dunno if this helps, but maybe....

Kiri