[Sca-cooks] New to this list - Need help with a medieval wedding

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 18 22:09:42 PDT 2007

Jennifer asked:
<<< I am not an SCA member (yet) so hope it is okay that I am
here. >>>

Welcome to our SCA-Cooks list! And perhaps welcome to the SCA. You
don't have to be a paid member to participate, but perhaps someday
you will decide that the SCA is for you and choose to join and
support it with a paid membership.

I've just gotten back from a week-long SCA event called Gulf Wars, so
it is good that you emailed when you did. :-) It will be a while
until I get to the other days of messages that are stacked up, for me.

<<< The reason I have joined this list is because I need help. My
partner and I
are getting married, we are having a medieval themed wedding/
reception and
have no idea what to serve to our guests.

Can anybody help me come up with some menu suggestions/recipies. >>>

As others have mentioned, you might try some of the files in the
Florilegium. You can find the web address in my sig. line below.

I'm not sure I have much on medieval wedding picnic feasts, but this
file in the FEASTS section might give you some ideas:
picnic-feasts-msg (12K)  7/ 6/01    Ideas for light, picnic style
feasts.

But are you specifically interested in picnic feasts because of the
facilities (or lack thereof) or just like the idea. There are ways to
serve more complete meals, including warm food, at primitive sites.
It is often done in my region in the SCA. For instance, variations on
a buffet type meal concentrating on 'finger foods' might work.

dayboards-msg     (58K)  5/21/06    SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day
meals.
Daybrd-Advent-art (16K)  8/ 5/02    "Dayboard Adventures" by Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa.
Rus-Vik-daybd-art (10K) 11/27/05    A Russian/Viking dayboard done by
Mistress
                                        Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.

I'm sure that there is more specific help that I or others might be
able to offer if you can give a few more details.

For more details on medieval and medieval-styled weddings you might
also wish to check out the WEDDINGS section of the Florilegium. I do
have more updated versions of these files that I have yet to edit and
upload to the site. If you request it, and let me know which files
are of most interest, I will see about working on those files. I'm
afraid that usually adding new files gets more of my resources than
updating files that are already online. But then either win out over
spending time making the site "cuter".

For a bit more on the SCA, you might also want to check out the
NEWCOMERS section.

Stefan
(yes, I'm B A C K...)  :-)
--------