[Sca-cooks] Apropos of ?? Re: OT Question

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 19:10:43 PDT 2007

Sorry, Daniel, but your family story is most untrue, which happens a lot in families.

Here is what the Oxford English Dictionary says about "Clap":

Clap, n.

[Of uncertain origin. Cf. OF. ‘clapoir, bosse, bubo, panus inguinis’; ‘clapoire, clapier, lieu de
débauche, maladie q'on y attrape’.]

    a. Gonorrha.

1587 Myrr. Mag., Malin iii, Before they get the Clap. a1605 MONTGOMERIE Flyting 312 The clape and
the canker. 1851 MAYNE Exp. Lex., Clap, vulgar name for the disease Baptorrha. 1881 in Syd. Soc.
Lex. 1919 Wine, Women & War (1926) 306 Physical examcrabs, cooties and clap. Scared to death, but
O.K. 1967 A. DIMENT Dolly Dolly Spy iii. 34 Rocky Kilmarry is about as good for you as a dose of
clap.

The first known use of "clap" as a name for the disease is over 100 year prior to your relative's
death.

Huette

--- Daniel  Phelps <phelpsd at gate.net> wrote:

> Was written:
>
> One of Thomas Crapper's descendants teaches middle school - science? - just
> up the road from me.  As you'd expect, kids have a field day with the name,
> but he's very proud of it :-)
>
> I've an odder one in my family.  My mother's family name comes out of
> England via colonial New England. Three of my ancestors with that family
> name are buried in the King's Chapel Cemetery in Boston.  The death date on
> the stone of the most well known one is 1692.  The part of the family that
> stayed in England had a member that was a well known doctor.  He researched
> a particularly virulent disease which he wrote up for the journals of the
> time.  That disease was popularly named after him.  His name...  Clap or
> Clapp.
>
> Daniel

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/