[Sca-cooks] Recipe Books

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Mar 19 21:39:48 PDT 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

> Most historians do think of medieval as having ended by 1400 though.

I would say that the above statement is far from true.  On this
matter historians appear to be very like economists - ask four of
them a question and you'll get five different answers.

For example:
"The Penguin Atlas of Medieval History" [ISBN: 0-14-051152-0] has a
cutoff date of 1478.

"Love & Marriage in Late Medieval London" [ISBN: 1-879288-53-2] makes
extensive use of fifteenth century documents for its source material.

In his introduction to "Early French Cookery" [ISBN: 0-472-10648-1],
Scully defines the middle ages as being from the end of the fifth
century to the end of the fifteenth.

Wikipedia (yeah, I know) uses the Lutherans' split from the Catholic
church in 1517.

C. Woolgar's "The Great Household" [0-300-07687-8] sets the medieval
period as 1200 to 1500.
(A source referenced in "The Great Household" gives that same date
range in its title alone - C. Dyer's "Standards of living in the
later Middle Ages: social change in England c. 1200-1500")

Then there is the SCA, which puts the end of the middle ages at 1600
(or 1620, or several other dates).  I've also got a co-worker who got
a degree in Medieval literature who says the medieval period ended
in  1918 (he tends to look at things in terms of political structure).

 From my viewpoint the date range runs from 1000 to 1500, though that
includes only France, Germany, and Italy on the 1000 end of things,
and excludes Italy by the 1500 end.  It also encompasses a much
smaller geographic region than is accepted by SCA - a very Euro-
centric region at that.

So, how about a survey?  Those on the list who think of yourselves as
historians (amateur or otherwise), what is the medieval time period?

- Doc (poking a stick at the beehive to see what happens)

-=-=-=-
200. Take merybonys and Orage, an smyte in fayre pecys, than take hem
vp of the water after the fyrst boylyng, an caste ther-to Percely,
Sawge, powder Pepyr, Clowys, Maces, Vynegre, and a lytyl Red wyne
caste there-to, an latte it boyle tyl it be y-now, an thanne serue
hem forth in a fayre dysshe.  [The Boke of Swyllyng]
-=-=-=-