[Sca-cooks] Recipe Books

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Mar 20 08:37:26 PDT 2007

> > Most historians do think of medieval as having ended by 1400 though.

I misspoke, thus putting the date wrong by one hundred years! I was
working on the renaissance=end of medieval assumption, and depends on
whether you assume that medieval ends when Renaissance begins-- some
writers do, some don't. But in most cases, in Europe, the "general"
Renaissance is held to have started by 1400 in most cases, though being
delayed in some countries. Or, that's what I've found. As a general
rule-of-looking-things-up, if a book uses the term "Renaissance" it will
define it as having started DURING the 1400s.

However, medieval in most references may go as far as 1500. Hoary
refernces such as the Cambridge Medieval history and the Dictionary of
the Middle ages, as well as the new Gale Encyclopedia of the Middle Ages
go up to 1500. In most cases, I don't expect to find things from the
1500s in a scholarly  book claiming to cover "Medieval". I can dig out
my references if you like.

I do hold by my definition of Renaissance in this period as being
specifically a return to classical principles. Such principles in dining
could be associated with banquetting and increasingly elaborate dining
settings and entertainments, but even in backward England that trend
started betwen 1550 and 1600.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net