[Sca-cooks] Origin of pudding with a vinegar syrup?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Mar 23 07:45:51 PDT 2007

asynpoeding doesn't appear in Google books.
A regular Google search is only 105 matches,
none of which seem to mention its history.
Searching under vinegar pudding one finds
there's another dish listed.

Malva -- delicious sponge dessert sometimes
called vinegar pudding since it's traditionally made
with apricot jam and vinegar.

Under vinegar puddings, there are a number of recipes in
various South African Cookbooks including The Complete South African
Cookbook and Potjiekos Favourites By Sannie Smit,  Willie van Heerden.

I did come across a note that said
A lady, in arguing the matter with Mrs. Jones, in my presence, said that
a little
vinegar improved pudding sauce very much, and gave to it a more
agreeable flavor than wine.

This was from an 1853 volume titled Sons of Temperance Offering.
I wonder if the vinegar was a substitute for wine.

There is a book that I own (it's boxed) on 17th century South African
cuisine--

The South African culinary tradition : the origin of South Africa’s
culinary arts during the 17th and 18th centuries, and 167 authentic
recipes of this period / Renata Coetzee ; colour photos. by Volker
Miros.Cape Town : C. Struik, 1977.

I don't know that it would be useful or not.

Johnnae