[Sca-cooks] tomato soup

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Mar 25 14:14:37 PDT 2007

He has an entire chapter on "Soupy Sales."
He credits the first commercial tomato soup to
James H. W. Huckins of Boston. The date is 1858.
It was even patented. Before Campbell sold tomato soup, they
sold canned tomatoes. Moving into soup was the next step.
One of the things that Smith goes into is how the soup was marketed
to housewives and that seems to be where Campbells was first rate.
Did the marketing create the demand?

Johnnae