[Sca-cooks] OT OP tomato soup cake

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 08:14:14 PDT 2007

>often a staple in the depression Years, my grandmother made the absolute
>BEST tomato soup cake.  yes, it is made without eggs, eggs being a ration
>item, and it is the most yummiest spice cake ever.

>Malkin

I found this recipe at
http://southernfood.about.com/od/spicecakerecipes/r/bl30220g.htm

No eggs and such so this might be close to your grandmother's recipe.

It looks...interesting.

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup butter
1 pound light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed tomato soup
2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup raisins or chopped dates

PREPARATION:
Directions for tomato soup cake
Preheat oven to 350°. Into a large bowl sift flour and baking soda,
cinnamon, ground allspice, nutmeg, and ground cloves; set aside. In a large
mixing bowl with an electric hand-held mixer on high speed, cream butter
until light.
Beat in sugar until light. Add eggs, beating until light and fluffy. Pour
soup into a 2 cup measure; add water to measure 2 cups. Beating on low
speed, add flour mixture to butter and egg mixture (about 1/4 at a time)
alternately with tomato soup mixture, ending with flour mixture. Beat just
until combined. Fold in nuts and raisins or dates; spoon into a greased and
floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until cake
tests done. A cake tester or wooden pick should come out clean. Cool cake in
the pan on a rack for about 30 minutes. Turn tomato soup cake out of pan
onto rack to cool completely. Frost tomato soup cake with Cream Cheese
Frosting or your favorite icing.

Gunthar