[Sca-cooks] help on 17th c. French Chocolate Drinking

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:24:28 PDT 2007

You might want to check into old Jewish cookbooks, maybe? I seem to remember
something about drinking chocolate being restricted to the Jewish quarters
somewhere. I'm trying to remember where I read it. I also seem to remember
something about a convent getting in trouble and drinking chocolate being
banned because it was considered too decadent or sinful. All anecdotal, but
maybe a lead...

I also vaguely remember something about one of the Medicis being really fond
of the drink.

Sorry I can't be more help!
Ysabeau