[Sca-cooks] help on 17th c. French Chocolate Drinking

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:02:06 PDT 2007

I knew I'd seen it somewhere:
http://www.italymag.co.uk/italy_regions/tuscany/2006/events/exhibition-reveals-chocolates-role-in-medici-rule/

It's Italian but I found this:
http://www.cuisinenet.com/digest/ingred/chocolate/timeline.shtml
*1666 • Chocolate in France*
Though it's not 100% clear how it got there, chocolate was popular in the
court of Louis XIV, at least before his second marriage to the rather
puritanical Madame de Maintenon. (By 1693, she had persuaded him to suppress
it at Versailles, but, in spite of that, chocolate continued to gain in
popularity in France.) It may have been introduced by the Sun King's mother,
Anne of Austria, whose father was the Spanish King Philip III, or by his
first wife, the Infanta Maria Teresa, who also grew up in Spain. Still a
third theory credits Cardinal
Richelieu<http://www2.lucidcafe.com/lucidcafe/library/95sep/richelieu.html>,
whose brother is known to have used chocolate medicinally.

http://www.kakawachocolates.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_6
 1692 French Elixir<http://www.kakawachocolates.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_6&products_id=28&zenid=4167f9fb565e0f3a7f07790912414de7>
Representative
of the historic drinking chocolate of the French court of Versailles from
the 1670's through the late 1700's. The recipe from M. St. Disdier,
published in 1692, is an accurate example of how genteel chocolate was
prepared in Baroque France - highly scented, exotic and semisweet.
Traditionally made with water. Ingredients: 73.5% chocolate, Raw Unprocessed
Cane Sugar*, Cloves*, Ceylon Cinnamon*, Mexican Vanilla & Culinary
Essential...

Okay, I did a quick search on "M. St. Disdier" and found Johnna quoting her
in a message about vanilla in the florilegium (dated December 2001!),  I
have not found the name of the book published...but another web page
mentioned that s/he ran a chocolate shop.

"One more source on vanilla---There are recipes for chocolate that use
vanilla published in France by M St. Disdier in 1692. See Sophie and Michael
Coe's The True History of Chocolate. pp.162-164" Johnnae llyn Lewis (is that
our Johnna?)

Hope this helps!
Ysabeau