[Sca-cooks] OOP / OT : Crochet Peeps

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 15 09:45:19 PDT 2007

OK, maire, here's that Crochet Peeps pattern:
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/chicks/chicks.html
The peepettes are nestling in a knitted and felted basket (pattern included)

Just for historic geekery:
The earliest known crochet (not just chain stitch, which can be made
quite a number of ways) dates to the early 19th C., although i've
seen something that might be from the very late 18th. The earliest
known printed patterns for crochet are from the 1840s (if i recall
the date correctly - it's in the 2nd quarter of the 19th C. at any
rate).

So this will only work as a very OOP-for-the-SCA sort of gifty.

To continue in an off-topic, out-of-period vein, Lacis is re-printing
some of the earliest known crochet patterns *real soon*
http://www.lacis.com -- which is almost close enough to me for me to walk to.

 From the Lacis newsletter:
>We are also happy to announce the arrival of THE FIRST TWELVE
>CROCHET BOOKS OF MLLE. RIEGO DE LA BRANCHARDIERE [1847-1852].
snip
>  The twelve booklets that make up this volume were published between
>1847 and 1852 by one of the 19th century's most prolific
>practitioners of the needle arts.
snip
>The patterns in this volume include a number of exquisite lace
>collars, wonderful handbags, anti-macassars, hats and bonnets,
>curtains, a truly remarkable "Cornucopia Stove Ornament," and even
>an opera cape. Crochet artists and needlework historians are sure to
>want to add this lovely volume to their libraries. Others may well
>find themselves beguiled into taking up a hook.

Anyone with friends who crochet or who re-create the mid-19th
century, feel free to pass this info along.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita