[Sca-cooks] How old is barley water?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 17 07:19:35 PDT 2007

That combination turns up in the 17th century in books on cures for the
plague.

And for his drink, the decocted water  of barley,
boyled with a little licorice is best, being mixed with the juice of a
Lemon, Citron, Pomegranate, or Rybes: which the sick best liketh, for
either of them is very good.

And for his diet, he must refrain from all salt, fat, thick and sharp
meats: and from all sweet things either in meat or drink, his meat must
be of a facile and easie digestion, and that hath a cooling property in
it, as broth wherein burrage, bugloss, sorrell, and such like are
boyled, and for ordinary drink, small beer or ale is best. page 56

from A treatise concerning the plague and the pox by Edwards. 1652.

Johnnae