[Sca-cooks] note on pie crusts

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri May 18 17:51:06 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
> as the madrone guild just reminded me, and most of you probably already
> know.....
> pillsbury (and several other pre made pie crusts) have re formulated to
take
> the "trans fats" out of their ingredients.
>
> sadly the new pillsbury pie crusts now contain lard, which makes them
> unusable for vegetarian or jewish dishes. Any other pie crusts and such
need
> to be checked as well. EVEN if you have used them before, due to the re
> formulation.> > > > > > >

Saddened by the exclusion of many diners . . . .but HOORAY for lard!!  Back
in the saddle after a 60-year decline from American cuisine.  So, it appears
that pork fat is again healthier for us than partially hydrogenated
vegetable protein . . . sorry . . . fat.  Lard crusts are very tasety and
perform quite well for those with the health, dietary and food preference
ability to use them.

niccolo difrancesco
Laridum Dominari