[Sca-cooks] Horchata - Barley Water

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat May 19 10:15:33 PDT 2007

This should be "rice substituted for barley."  Since barley water is
mentioned in Anthimus in the 6th Century, it predates the extensive
cultivation and common use of rice in Europe which occurs between the 8th
and 10th Centuries.  As the Arabs are the primary source for rice in Europe,
it would be reasonable for a change from barley to rice to occur there.  The
key issue, of course, is accurate documentation.

The earthnut mentioned in the quote is probably Arachis hypogaea, the
peanut, rather than any members of the genera Apios, Vigna, Lathyrus,
Conopodium, Bunium, or Tuber, that are also referred to as groundnuts or
earthnuts.

Bear