[Sca-cooks] And more critter doings

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue May 22 15:25:39 PDT 2007

--On Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:59 AM +1200 Adele de Maisieres
<ladyadele at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Saint Phlip wrote:
>
>> I've named the ducks, btw, because I at least know what gender they
>> are- since they're Indian Runners, the drake is Jim Thorpe, the ladies
>> are Wenona, Sacajawea, and Pocahontas. Still waiting to name the
>> geese, because I don't know what gender they are, beyond knowing I
>> have at least one gander and one goose. Will be Roman names, however
>> ;-) Any suggestions?
>>

> I like Livia and Aurelia :-)

Well, it's more Greek than Roman, but you could go with Zeus/Jupiter and
all the ladies who had little heros by him. Just off the top of my head
there's:

  Europa (Mythical first queen of Crete- ZJ in the shape of a white bull)
  Leda (Mother of Castor, Pollox, Clytemnestra,and Helen. That Helen. - ZJ
in the shape of a swan)
  Io (Founder of various dynasties - ZJ in the shape of a cloud)
  Danae (Mother of Perseus - ZJ in the shape of a shower of gold coins)
  Alcmena (mother of Hercules - ZJ in the shape of her husband)

For roman names, why not give the ganders proper tria nomena names, (Gaius
Julius Rufus [Gaius Julius the red], Tiberius Aurelius Aquila [Tiberius
Aurelius the eagle] Publius Furius Crassus [Publius Furius the fat]), and
just call the girls Prima, Secunda, Tertia, Quadrata, Quinta, Sexta, etc.
When, when they have hatchlings, the boys inherit the nomen (the middle
name), with their own praenomen and cognomen, and the girls become Julia
Majora and Julia Minora, etc or Aurelia Prima, Furia Prima, etc, depending
on who you think the father is :-)

Aren't roman names fun?

toodles, margaret

(Of course, there is always Tiberius, Caligula, and Nero for the boys, and
Agripinella, Messalina, Julia, and Popea for the girls.  Doesn't say much
about their character, though...)

toodles,  margaret