[Sca-cooks] scalding milk

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu May 31 07:04:23 PDT 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 9:10 AM, Caointiarn wrote:

> Good Morning!
>  My Protogete is making bread pudding from an ancient family heirloom
> cookbook recipe,  and the instructions tell her to scald the
> milk.   She
> wants to know  "WHY?" and I didn't have an answer for her.   So I
> bring the
> question here for an answer.  Is the scalding of milk still really
> necessary?
>   Going over tonight to enjoy her efforts,
> Caointiarn

There are some potential benefits, depending on circumstances. If
you're using unhomogenized milk, it's less likely to curdle under
high heat if you scald it first. In this case I assume it has to do
with the mechanics of custard-making, tempering egg yolks to prevent
curdling, get a smoother custard, etc. Kind of like the difference
between a cheesecake baked in a water bath versus one without it.
Some people claim it's not essential, but many can detect a
difference and think it's better to do it.

In the case of a bread pudding I'd do it; the overall baking time is
less, and you're less likely to get watery curdy masses around the
edges while waiting for the middle to be cooked through.

Adamantius