[Sca-cooks] Mac & Cheese - OOP

devra at aol.com devra at aol.com
Wed May 2 13:22:57 PDT 2007

I just made this for a party celebrating our Canton's new Court Baron/ess.  Rich but very good... and this is half of the original recipe!

Delilah Winter's Macaroni and Cheese

1 lb elbow macaroni
4 oz (quarter lb) butter, melted
6 eggs
1 and a half cups sharp yellow cheddar (6 oz?)
1 cup extra sharp white cheddar cheese (4 oz?)
3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese
half cup Asiago cheese
half cup Monterey Jack (2 oz?)
half cup Muenster cheese (2oz?)
half cup Velveeta cheese (2 oz?)
3 cups half-and-half
pinch of salt
1 + one-half teaspoon black pepper

1. Grate all cheeses except Velveeta.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
3. Crack eggs into bowl and beat until blended.
4. With macaroni still warm, mix in Velveeta cheese, melted butter, and 1 cup of half-and-half. Blend until creamy and smooth.
5. Add remaining half-and-half, all grated cheeses, eggs, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning.
6. Bake in large deep-sided dish (rectangular works fine) at 325 * F. for one hour, or until golden brown on top.

NB: Be sure oven is preheated, and all ingredients are mixed well. Can add some extra grated yellow cheddar on top midway into baking, for extra kick.

They say this will serve 3 to 4, but really it's a gigantic dish. Also, I used pre-grated Mozzarella and Asiago, so those measurements are right, but for the rest of the cheese I said, Oh, a cup is 8 oz, right? and forgot to check in Joy of Cooking, which tells us that a pound of cheese is 4 cups, so a cup of grated cheese is 4 oz... So I used about a pound more cheese than I should have... but people ate it anyway.  Still, it's creamier with the lesser amounts of cheese.

Devra