[Sca-cooks] Not bagels, pretzels

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed May 2 23:57:30 PDT 2007

Messibugio has a recipe which I originally encountered in a class at
Pennsic some years ago, with the title translated as "Bagels of milk
and sugar." The italian original is "Brazzatelle di latte, e
zuccaro." When we tried the recipe, it occurred to me that the
process--boil then bake--could describe either bagels or pretzels, as
would the implication of some specific (but not stated) shape. And
the name could be related to "bracelets" for bagels, or to "pretzel."

It finally occurred to me to check the etymology of "pretzel."

"[German Brezel, Pretzel, from Middle High German bremacr.gifzel,
premacr.gifzel, from Old High German brezitella, ...

I think that's close enough to establish a strong presumption that
it's a pretzel recipe.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com