[Sca-cooks] Dutch Pancakes

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon May 7 20:27:13 PDT 2007

Just so people know, the Dutch pancake being talked about here
appears in the Florilegium under Breadmaking in a post from 1999. It
also appears
on the web at
http://www.household-management.com/cookbook/Panckoecken--Medieval-Dutch-Pancakes-.html
I am not convinced that Oud-Hollands Kookboek is the end all on pancake
recipes but I'll
see what else I can dig up this week. Peter Rose's work comes to mind as
being more
accessible. Matters of Taste Food and Drink in Seventeenth-Century Dutch
Art and Life
contains two paintings that deal directly with the topic:
 Jan Steen's Pancake Woman and Egbert van der Poel's A Pancake Woman.
They are also featured in Bloemaert's A Couple in the Kitchen Interior.
Rose produces 3 different versions of pancakes in the recipe book that
goes along
with the exhibit catalog and notes the sources in the catalog.
Windmills in My Oven by Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra also has a chapter on
pancakes with listed sources.

Johnnae