[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium article for May

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 8 22:42:14 PDT 2007

Greetings to the Gentles on the SCA-Cooks list,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for May detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

If you have written an article for a local SCA newsletter please send
it to me to consider putting it into the Florilegium. Let more than
just your local group take advantage of the time and effort you spent
researching and writing your article. My standard policy is that the
copyright remains with the author and I will accept updates or
removal requests at any time. I want to get good articles out where
all in the SCA can use them. Let's stand on each other's shoulders
and together advance our knowledge of the Middle Ages.

If you are a newsletter editor, remember that there are a number of
short articles in the Florilegium which make good articles for
newsletters. Most have the needed permissions at the end of the article.

Stefan
-----
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
    Orng-Lmn-drks-art    "Orange and Lemon Drinks of Summer"
                            by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis, CE.
In the FEASTS section:
    ingred-lists-msg     Posting ingredient lists at SCA feasts.
In the FOOD-BREADS-GRAINS section:
    boulting-msg         Sieving meal to get various grades of flour.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
    caviar-msg           Medieval caviar and fish eggs. Recipes.
    shrimp-msg           Medieval shrimp recipes.
In the FOOD-VEGETALES section:
    Tomatoes-art         "Love, Death or Mere Curiosity? The Tomato
                            in Renaissance Europe" by Mistress Renata
                            Kestryl of Highwynds
In the SCA-CAMPING section:
    sheetwalls-msg       Using sheetwalls to separate encampments.

Here are some of the updated files.
    butter-msg           Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
    gums-resins-msg      Period use of plant gums and resins. Myrrh,
                            mastic, frankincense, camphor.
    pig-heads-msg        Cooking, displaying or otherwise working
                            with pig’s heads. Real and artificial.
    porridges-msg        Period porridges and gruels.
    Russia-msg           Russian and Kievian Culture and language.
    seafood-msg          Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
    serving-soups-msg    Serving soups at SCA feasts.
    songs2-msg           More songs.
    spice-storage-msg    Period and modern spice storage.
    steaks-msg           Period grilled steaks. Descriptions.
---
Copyright 2007, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the
updated files listing in order to fit the article into limited
publication space is allowed.  The article introduction may also be
edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com