[Sca-cooks] How old is barley water?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 17 07:34:18 PDT 2007

Here's another recipe
86. To make BarleyWater,

Take a penny-worth of Barley, a penny-worth of Raisins of the Sun, a
penny-worth of Anniseeds, a half penny-worth of Liquorish, about two
quarts of water, boil all together till half be consumed, then strain
it, and when it is cold drink it, your Liquorish must be sliced into
small pieces.

The Accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving, physick, beautifying, and
cookery. 1675

Johnnae