[Sca-cooks] How old is barley water?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu May 17 21:24:47 PDT 2007

Volker asked:
<<<  But I'm still wondering about drinks. I know there's beer
and wine, and grape must. I've given them vinegar
water before. Now I'm wondering whether barley water
makes sense. it sounds interesting and gets mentioned
quite a bit in 'period' contexts, but is it
documentable?  >>>

See this file in the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium:
infusions-msg     (24K)  3/26/02    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.

I have found barley tea mix in ethnic food stores.

Another similar drink is kvass, from Russia:
kvass-msg         (73K)  7/ 4/04    Russian drink made from bread or
grains.

There a number of files on a variety of medieval beverages, both
alcoholic and non, in that section. So you might want to just look
around a bit in that section, as well.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas