[Sca-cooks] Meanderings on family histories and foods

Pat Griffin ldyannedubosc at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 11:51:46 PDT 2007

I, too, have very little ethnic culinary roots.  Of the extensive family
tree I have traced, I don't seem to have any who came over later than 1700.
My Mom's family is NOT Acadian, but her family has lived in Bayou country
for 5 generations.  However, her mother died when she was 4, at the height
of the depression.  Afterward, her family life was not exactly stable for a
long time.  She learned to cook after she was married from books, and from
my paternal grandmother.  Big Mama cooked Alabama Southern very, very well.

When I was an infant, I married into the Dutch Fork community of South
Carolina.  My husband's foster mother thought I couldn't cook at all well
because I had never heard of most of what they ate, so she taught me to make
liver nips and kraut and pigtail.  Unfortunately, I could never reproduce
her way with baked goods.
I learned a great deal of Cajun cooking from cookbooks and television,
because I fell in love with the cuisine.
So now my "at home" cooking is a weird fusion of Soul Food/German/Cajun with
just a touch of Italian and Hispanic thrown in just for spice.

Lady Anne du Bosc

Known as Mordonna The Cook

Mka Pat Griffin

Vert between four caldrons or a cross checky sable and argent