[Sca-cooks] Horchata - Barley Water

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat May 19 09:04:34 PDT 2007

On 5/19/07 8:44 AM, "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On May 19, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Arianwen ferch Arthur wrote:
>

>> OK--I'm confused  the only mention of Rice is that
>> later someone substituted barley for the rice???
>
> Maybe rice for the barley?

It is made of rice today, so that latter would be the case.

>> "Someone asked about horchata being barley water or
>> something like that. The word horchata (orgeat in
>> English), comes from the Latin: hordeata (made with
>> barley) fr. hordeum (barley). Yes originally is was
>> cooling drink made with barley. Later nuts of various
>> types were used. It was a common drink among
>> Hispano-Arabs, especially in Cordova by the 10th C at
>> least. In 15th C. Castile, it was made from orange
>> flower water and barley, almonds or other nuts. Later,
>> Valencias substituted barley for rice. It was not
>> until the late 17th C that the earthnut was used to
>> make the orgeat that known there today."
>
> What I'm wondering is whether the earthnut referred to above is the
> modern groundnut, or what Americans call peanuts...
>
> Adamantius

I thought modern orgeat was almond flavored.  The bottle in my kitchen
certainly is.  OH dear, I would be so easy to poison, I do so love the
flavor of almond as well as marzipan, amaretto, etc.

Selene