[Sca-cooks] Fat Tail Sheep

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed May 23 10:40:14 PDT 2007

There are quite a number of fat tailed/fat rumped sheep breeds, which
appear to have originated in Central Asia. Some of them have tails
that when dressed (!!) weigh 5 lbs. Here are photos of a few
displaying their fat tails (or rumps) There are many other fat-tail
breeds besides these:

the Altay
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/altay/index.htm

the Balkhi
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/balkhi/index.htm

the Baluchi
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/baluchi/index.htm

the Hasht Nagri
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/hashtnagri/index.htm

the Moghani
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/moghani/index.htm

the Ujumqin, a Mongolian
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/ujumqin/index.htm

the Waziri
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/waziri/index.htm

The Han, one of the most extreme
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/han/index.htm
(note that while it is in "China", the region is one of
Turkic/Central Asian culture):

BTW, this is a *really interesting* website, where they're trying to
compile info and photos of all the domesticated "farm" animals from
all over the world that they can:
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/
They have listings and photos of cattle, horses, goats, sheep, swine,
and "others". "Other" includes Buffalo,  Camels both Bactrian and
Dromedary, Donkeys, Llama, Reindeer, Yak

A couple of my favorite pin-ups are the Golden Guernsey Goat (looks
like an Irish setters, only it's a goat) and the Poitou Donkey (the
French Poodle of donkeys).

And if you're a "poultry guy", this site has a collection of poultry breeds
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/index.htm
including chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, and "others". "Others"
only includes at this time Guinea Fowl and Black Swan. I haven't
explored this part of the site as much as i have the mammal section.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita