[Sca-cooks] Cold soup recipe needed

Helen Schultz meisterin02 at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 21:17:04 PDT 2007

Mel:

  Here is one I found in Cindy Renfrew's "Take a Thousand Eggs or More" book, pagr 8-9 in Vol I of the 1994 printing...

  COLORED BROTH WITHOUT FIRE:

  Take four pounds of Almonds, & lay in Water over all, and blanch them, and on the morrow grind them right well, and draw thereof a thick milk: then take Rice, and wash them clean, and grind them well, & draw them up with the Milk through a strainer, and put it in a bowl, & part it in the vessel, and put it all white Sugar, and every vessel Cloves, Maces, Cubebs, & powedered Cinnamon; And let that one part be white, that other yellow,  & that other green with Parsleyn; and lay of each a slice in a dish , and look that Milk be mixed with wine, and the other with Red wine.

  Her redaction is as follows:

  1-1/2 c strained almond milk, made with water
  1/2 cup raw rice
  2 Tbsp sugar
  1/4 tsp clove powder
  1/4 tsp mace powder
  2 cubebs, ground
  1 tsp cinnamon
  pinch of Saffron
  2 Tbsp white wine
  1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
  2 Tbsp red wine

      Heat the almond milk to boiling in a 1-quart covered saucepan.  Add rice, cloves, mace, cubebs, and cinnamon.  Reduce heat, and cook until rice is soft (15-20 min).  Remove from heat.  Process the mixture in a blender until smooth.
      Divide the mixture into 3 equal parts in 3 small mixing bowls.  Leave one part plain.  To the second part, add saffron and white whine, stir.  To the third part add parsley and red wine, stir.  Chill all three pats in the refrigerator for half an hour.  When ready to serve, place a slice of each color in a small dish and serve cold.

  Doesn't really sound like a soup, from her redaction, nor from the original recipe, but it is called a broth <shrug>.  This is really more of a pudding, I think.

  She had another one just efore this that is quite involved and actually sounds more like a sauce for veal rather than an actual soup.

  I don't know if this will help, but it is something.

  ~~ Meisterin Katarina Helene

Michelle LR <melbrigda at gmail.com> wrote:
  I have my feast pretty well figured out, but keep getting a "Where's the
soup" question from everyone I share it with. I'm doing mostly 14th century
English foods with a bit of sway on either side (culturally as well as
temporally in case the Crown shows up). So I started thinking today (a bad
thing) that maybe I could do a cold soup. However, all the cold soup
recipes that I know are clearly modern or contain new world foods. Before I
started digging through my resources, I thought I would ask the collective
wisdom and experience here if they know of a period cold soup or if I should
just tell people to "get over it" about not having a soup "remove"

--
Mel. - who will not be using the words remove or feastcrat
The Honorable Lady Melbrigða Leifsdottir