[Sca-cooks] Wedding bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun May 13 19:02:14 PDT 2007

Wedding bread of one sort or another was common in Medieval Europe.  In
Britian and the United States, it has been replaced by the wedding cake.
Wedding breads can be anything from small buns to large ornately decorated
loaves depending on the culture and use.

My opinion is that the general European custom derives from the Greek
worship of Demeter as the goddess of fertility with ripe grain and small
breads shaped like genitalia and breasts.  The shape changed for a Chrisitan
world, but the connection to fertility remained.

While I haven't read it; Charsley, Simon R., Wedding Cakes and Cultural
History, London; Routledge, 1992, is considered an exellent reference on the
subject.

Bear