[Sca-cooks] Meanderings on family histories and foods, was, Re: Packing from the Nimatnama

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri May 18 07:02:34 PDT 2007

That's some of mine, too--first ones I know about landed on the right coast
some time in the early/mid 1600s.  The rest (about which I know, that is),
seemed to trickle onto the continent from various bits of the British Isles
in the early/mid 19th century, with one exception coming towards the end of
that century.  I have an odd name, too (Clemenger), but it's not due to any
re-spellings on Ellis Island.  It's just a rare name--some sort of variant
on Clevenger, and, apparently, distinctly Norman-Irish.  When I google it, I
mostly get hits on the distant cousins in Australia, who have some sort of
huge advertising firm, but there's also a Bruce C. in Canada (where we came
from prior to settling in the US), who's some sort of serious, right-wing
rabble rouser.  ;o)
Nothing of much ethnic interest in the few family recipes I have--a couple
of recipes from each Grandma, my Dad's spaghetti sauce (all 3 of us kids
make some variant of it), and odd fondnesses for an egg dish called "English
Monkey" (which has curry in it) and chutneys--apparently, there was a
paternal ancestor who was a missionary to India in the 19th century.  There
are a couple of other family standards (holiday jello recipe being one) that
I know are Forest Service recipes, but they're all pretty
standard-American-regional stuff.  We did tend to eat enough shellfish and
Italian food to make the neighbors suspect something, but that's more from
my folks' east coast origins.  I very much doubt there was so much as a
pizza joint in this state when they moved here in '58.
--Maire "it's a grinder not a sub or a hoagie, dammit" NiNuanain