[Sca-cooks] Meanderings on family histories and foods

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri May 18 10:53:16 PDT 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Elise Fleming wrote:

> Adamantius reminsced:
>> things like sliced, boiled eggs reheated in cream sauce, which I
>> gather is
>> something you might find 20th-century Catholics of German ancestry
>> eating on a Friday in Lent, and from which we used to recoil in
>> terror.
>
> Oooh!  Creamed eggs on toast!  My (German) mother used to make this
> for us
> in the week(s) after Easter to help use up all those hardboiled
> eggs.  Ours
> weren't sliced but were diced with the yolk often disappearing into
> the
> now-yellow cream sauce.  We'd sprinkle paprika on top.  I had totally
> forgotten about this!

Okay. The next crucial question is, did this dish have any other name
but creamed eggs? In the family lexicon, it could be served with any
of several rice, noodle, or potato accompaniments (bearing in mind we
ran from this, ungrateful little creeps we undoubtedly were, but it
was considered particularly heinous when served with boiled new
potatoes). Be that as it may, my grandmother either gave it a
different name, or was taught at some point to call this by a
different name. Presumably because of the round, variegated-color egg
slices, this was known as lollipop-sauce. Which, somewhere along the
line, probably by some toddler in the family, became, I think,
lollipalopsi. I can offer no sensible explanation.

But I agree, the paprika garnish would help immensely.

Adamantius