[Sca-cooks] Meanderings on family histories and foods

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 01:19:50 PDT 2007

Well, my mother, whose parents were German immigrants and good Lutherans to boot, would
make creamed eggs on toast after Easter using up all the hard boiled Easter eggs she had
made for us kids.  Mom never used paprika on this dish, but it did have black pepper in it,
so that it wasn't just a bland egg/cream sauce dish.  I can still remember the taste of
this with the soft and creamy eggs on a toasted and buttered piece of white bread.  Sigh.

My mother and grandmother would use hard-boiled eggs in their potato salad, but they didn't
do a creamed egg and potato hot dish.  For the potato salad, they would make a
mayonnaise/cream/mustard/sweet pickle relish emulsion to bind the potatoes and eggs together.
And on hot summer days, they would also add cubed ham and cubed cheese to make a cool, one
dish meal.

Huette

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On May 18, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Elise Fleming wrote:
>
> > Adamantius reminsced:
> >> things like sliced, boiled eggs reheated in cream sauce, which I
> >> gather is
> >> something you might find 20th-century Catholics of German ancestry
> >> eating on a Friday in Lent, and from which we used to recoil in
> >> terror.
> >
> > Oooh!  Creamed eggs on toast!  My (German) mother used to make this
> > for us
> > in the week(s) after Easter to help use up all those hardboiled
> > eggs.  Ours
> > weren't sliced but were diced with the yolk often disappearing into
> > the
> > now-yellow cream sauce.  We'd sprinkle paprika on top.  I had totally
> > forgotten about this!
>
> Okay. The next crucial question is, did this dish have any other name
> but creamed eggs? In the family lexicon, it could be served with any
> of several rice, noodle, or potato accompaniments (bearing in mind we
> ran from this, ungrateful little creeps we undoubtedly were, but it
> was considered particularly heinous when served with boiled new
> potatoes). Be that as it may, my grandmother either gave it a
> different name, or was taught at some point to call this by a
> different name. Presumably because of the round, variegated-color egg
> slices, this was known as lollipop-sauce. Which, somewhere along the
> line, probably by some toddler in the family, became, I think,
> lollipalopsi. I can offer no sensible explanation.
>
> But I agree, the paprika garnish would help immensely.
>
> Adamantius

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/