[Sca-cooks] German Potato Salads

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Mon May 21 09:15:50 PDT 2007

My grandma's german potato salad was the bacon/vinegar version.  Known in my
circles now as "German Crack".  I'm only allowed to make it once, maybe
twice a year:

6-8 medium potatoes
6 slices bacon
3/4 c chopped onion

2 T flour
1-2 T sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t celery seed
dash pepper

3/4 c water
1/3 c apple cider vinegar

Boil medium potatoes, skins on. Rinse in cold water, slice w/ skins on.

While potatoes are cooking:

Fry bacon slowly until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving fat in the pan.
Saute onion in the grease. Blend Flour, sugar, salt, celery seed & pepper in
a cup. Slowly add to onions and stir until smooth & bubbly.
Stir in water & vinegar. Heat to a boil stirring constantly. Add additional
water as needed.
Pour sauce over potatoes. Carefully stir together, trying not to break up
the potatoes.

Crumble bacon and mix in.

Best enjoyed with a brat and some beer. Everything in moderation.

Vitha