[Sca-cooks] Warlord outdoor cooking

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue May 29 09:10:41 PDT 2007

Countess Regina has some very nice photos of her setup
for Steppes Warlord and I did get to stop by briefly on Saturday.
She did a lot of outdoor cooking for the event including dutch oven
cakes, chickens, venison ribs, stews, spitted chickens and beef
roast. Unfortunately I only got a nibble of the beef because my
duties on Saturday with the Warlord list and being entourage to
the new Baroness as well as feeding my own camp kept me
rather busy.

And on Sunday, the rains came. I had planned on going to the
grocery store and picking up vittles to feed everyone left on
site on Sunday night but it was just too wet. I went to Regina's
camp and they were busy packing up.

So, no experimentation on Sunday. I had planned on a few
spinning chickens, one or two baked chickens and some kind
of roast. But it was not to be.

So the next chance I have is in two weeks at King's College.
I'll be doing some experiments at home with some of the
recipes such as flatbread griddle cakes and a stewed chicken.

I plan on having the spinning chicken already cooking when
class starts and the cornish hens in the ground. Then I'll
demonstrate both clay wrapping and salt crust on a couple of
others. I'll have a chicken roasting in a dutch oven and also
demonstrate how to prepare a dutch oven roasted chicken.
Basically I'll prepare food but also know I'll have stuff ready
by class end.

Plus, maybe some leftovers for Mistress Gwyneth's pot luck.

I just hope it doesn't rain.

Gunthar