[Sca-cooks] Karen Hess has died

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri May 18 16:41:56 PDT 2007

I just returned from the first afternoon of my food historian's
conference at the UM. I was stunned to hear from Sandy Oliver
that Karen Hess died on May 16th.

She was the editor of the /Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery/, of
Mary Randolph's /The Virginia Housewife/, /The Carolina Rice Kitchen/,
and with her husband John Hess, the author of /The Taste of America/.
She suffered a massive stroke on Tuesday, May 8, and died last night in
her sleep. She was 88.

I didn't find the death notice yet in the NYT, but it is up on
the Food History News website.
http://foodhistorynews.com/notebook.html

catch you all later next week

Johnna