[Sca-cooks] OOP Gingerbread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 6 18:50:28 PST 2007

The unsweetened cocoa adds a slightly bitter chocolate flavor to offset the
sweetness and add a little more bite to the spices. I prefer to use really
fresh spices.

Bear

Gingerbread

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2/3 cup unsulfured molasses
2/3 cup milk or water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Mix dry ingredients other than the sugar together
Cream the butter and the sugar, blend in the egg
Stir the moasses and the milk together (liquor).
Add the liquor and the creamed butter and sugar to the dry ingredients.
Fold together.
Pour into a greased 8 x 8 pan.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until firm in the center.
Cool 5 minutes.
Unmold to rack and cool completely.