[Sca-cooks] Anne-Maries Mushroom Pate....was RE: Thanksgiving menu

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 23 04:45:16 PST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007, at 2:52 AM, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Happy to share, though its not medieval in any way that I can think
> of.
> Classically oriented foodies will recognize a basic duxelle, I
> believe?
>
> Mushroom Pate
> (the original recipe came from my then-apprentice Genot. I've
> tweaked it, of
> course, because that's what cooks do :))
>
> 3/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
> 1 small onion chopped
> 1 large clove garlic, smooshed
> 1 T dried thyme (I like a lot :) you might adjust this according to
> your own
> preferences)
> salt, pepper
> 2 T olive oil
>
> in a large sautee pan,

This is pretty similar to my basic vegetarian mushroom stuffing, for
anything from other mushrooms to rolled chicken breast cutlets (or
even turkey for that pseudo-Veal-Orloff effect). If you think of the
classic Duxelles mixture as one part mushrooms to one part onion or
shallot, but of a classic mirepoix as two parts onion, one of carrot
and one of celery, this would be a synthesis of two parts mushroom,
two parts onion or shallot, one of carrot and one of celery, sauteed
until most of the liquid is cooked away, possibly remoistened with
butter if needed, then a few bread crumbs added to bind the mixture.
Salt, pepper, chopped herbs (optional). Naturally everything is
chopped small, either in the food processor or, if one is insane, 1/8"
dice by hand.

Because there's no egg (although I suppose there could be, but it's
really not necessary) it has a very light, delicate, sort of fragile
mouth feel...

I love the 1/8" dice thing. It's a little labor-intensive, but it
gives a real "value-added" sense to some very simple ingredients.

On previous occasions, when called upon to make a mushroom-paté type
of thing, I've just made English potted mushrooms, which is a modern
tea-table classic; basically the chopped, sauteed mushrooms seasoned
with a little lemon juice, and made into a sort of confit under a
layer of butter in a jar or ramekin.

Adamantius