[Sca-cooks] Sweeney Todd

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 30 11:04:43 PST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 12:27 PM, Christiane wrote:

> Make that 19 people on the planet; my husband and I are Kevin Smith
> fans so we Netflixed that one. We got the biggest laughs of the
> movie from that scene, as the parental audience reacted in shock and
> horror at this adorable muppet of a girl tearing it up as Mrs.
> Lovett and George Carlin (playing the adorable girl's grandfather)
> as the fiendish barber's victim.

I had to take a few minutes and go back and watch that scene again. I
had forgotten Gertie's exaggerated imitation of the distinctively
ratty hairstyle of Angela Lansbury, and how they faithfully recreated
the classic duplex set in children's plastic playground equipment.

It stands up to repeated viewings, that much is clear...

> Now to get this back to a food topic: Sweeney Todd inspired recipes!
>
> http://www.pbs.org/kqed/demonbarber/recipes/

I am curious about one thing: why, if one were looking for Sweeney-
Todd-inspired recipes, and one needed (as seems obvious) a meat pie
recipe to include, would you use an adaptation of a medieval chewet
recipe rather than a Victorian pork pie recipe, of which there are
lots available?

Maybe this is a case where the added spices and flavorings really
_are_ intended to hide the flavors of unsavory meat???

Adamantius