[Sca-cooks] OT OOP tedious process-Raku

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Mon Nov 12 04:01:25 PST 2007

In a message dated 11/12/2007 1:43:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:

Ummm.  I'm not rich enough (or knowledgeable enough about pottery
firing)  but if you used pot instead of straw, would you get a
different  glazing effect?

The reason you use the "dry matter" was to form a reducing atmosphere (the
burning "stuff" used up all the oxygen) which made the coloring matter in the
glazes (usually metal salts) become their form that had one less oxygen (-ous
to  -ic for you chemists).  This form was usually more highly  colored.
Although, Iron turns from that nice rust color we all know  to a color similar to
a young sage leaf.    Copper, otoh, turns  from that chalky green color to a
lovely blue!

Etain..chemist in RL