[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 19, Issue 68

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:13:10 PST 2007

Terry wrote:
> Henry III of Castile sent Ruy Gonzales de Clavijo as an ambassador to the
> court of Timur (Tamerlane) in 1403.  While at the court in Tamerlane, he encountered travelers from Cathay.  Clavijo returned to Spain in 1406.

> While Spain may not have had many direct contacts with the Orient before the 16th Century, absolute non-contact is not the case.Send

I didn't say "absolute non-contact" but see that I should reword it as
contacts are possible but not documented as Tamerlane. I am well aware
of the ambassador's trip to Tamerlane but that could be the only contact
which did have an influence on food. Nothing more is said about
travelers from Cathay, if trade came out of it as a result or not. Other
then that the trip seemed to be a disaster otherwise. I don't know of
any more trips.