[Sca-cooks] Veal and sausage pies RE: OT & OOP: Sweeney Todd movie

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 30 04:54:02 PST 2007

The FoC has this one for veal tarts:
TARTLETES. XX.VIII. IX. Take Veel ysode and grinde it smale. take harde
Eyrenn isode and yground & do þerto with prunes hoole. dates. icorue.
pynes and Raisouns coraunce. hool spices & powdour. sugur. salt, and
make a litell coffyn and do þis fars þerinne. & bake it & serue it forth.

This one is two centuries later and is from the GHJewell (1596? edition)
To make a veale pie. Let your Veale boyle a good while, and when it is
boyled, mince it by it selfe, and the white by it selfe, and season it
with salt and pepper, cinamon and ginger, and suger, and cloves and
mace, and you muste have prunes and raisons, dates & currantes on the top.

/ *Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin *has this one:/
60 To make a veal pie. Take pieces of veal from the leg and boil them in
water, about as long as it takes to hard boil an egg. Afterwards take
them out and chop the meat small, and take suet from the kidneys and cut
it small and chop it with the veal. And when it is finely chopped, then
put it in a bowl and put some wine into it and an ample ladelful of
broth , pepper and a little mace, which should be whole. Crush it a
little by hand so that it in small pieces, put in it raisins and saffron
and stir it all up together with a spoon, put cinnamon in it also, and
taste it, however it seems good to you.

Veal and sausage, however, is uncommon. Searching by Google I can turn
it up here--

        1233.--VEAL AND SAUSAGE PIE.

Cover a shallow dish with paste, lay a well-beaten veal cutlet at the
bottom, slightly seasoned; cover it with a Bologna sausage freed from
the skin and cut into slices; then add another cutlet and a layer of the
Bologna sausage; cover the whole with paste, and put no water to it: the
veal will give out sufficient gravy, while it will be rendered very
savory by the sausage. It is excellent eaten cold.

That recipe was in The Practical Housekeeper which was published in 1857.

Johnnae